HydRoData: Summer school about Hydrology and Data
HydRoData: 2023 Summer School about Hydrology and Data organized by the Unesco Chair on Water-related Disaster Risk Reduction
The UNESCO Chair on Water-related Disaster Risk Reduction is organizing a summer school about hydrology in relation to data (measurements, data manipulation and analysis, visualization, storing, communication, etc.). Special focus will be given to R programming language that will be used for data manipulation.
Date and venue
Summer school will take place from 4 to 8 of September 2023 in Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Who can attend
Summer school is dedicated to MSc and PhD students. Post-docs are also welcomed. The maximum number of participants is 20. Language: English
Registration can be made using this link: LINK.
If the number of registered trainees exceeds 20, a selection process will be necessary. Master students with previous experience in R software will be given priority in the selection process.
There will be a registration fee of 150 EUR. You will be contacted about the payment of the fee after completing the registration form.
The registration fee will be used to cover the following expenses:
- Course materials
- Lunch and coffee breaks
- Social events
- Field trip
Your registration will be confirmed only upon receipt of the registration fee. Foreign master students (status proof required) can be offered free accommodation (bed and breakfast).
The main topic of the HydRoData summer school is data in relation to hydrology: obtaining and monitoring the data; data manipulation and analysis; data communication and sustainability. More specifically, the following topics will be covered:
- Introduction to hydrology and data
- Field measurements of various hydrological processes such as surface runoff (discharge, water level), sediment transport (turbidity), infiltration, etc.
- Publicly available hydrological data (e.g., national repositories, earth-observations, etc.)
- Hydrology, data communication and sustainability in hydrology
- Introduction R programming language
- Data manipulation, (spatial) analyses, visualization using R
- Hydrological modelling using R
Summer school will be organized by members of the UNESCO Chair on Water-related Disaster Risk Reduction:
- Prof. Dr. Matjaž Mikoš
- Prof. Dr. Mojca Šraj
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Simon Rusjan
- Assist. Prof. Dr. Nejc Bezak, nejc.bezak[at]fgg.uni-lj.si (for more information)
- Assist. Dr. Klaudija Lebar, klaudija.lebar[at]fgg.uni-lj.si (for more information)
- Assist. Dr. Mateja Klun
- Assist Tamara Kuzmanić
As invited lecturers several other experts from Slovenia and abroad will be involved:
- Prof. Dr. Juraj Parajka, TU Wien, Austria
- Dr. Bora Shehu, University of Potsdam, Germany
- Dr. Hannes Müller-Thomy, TU Braunschweig, Germany (course material preparation)
- Dipl.-Hydrol. Tim Müller, TU Braunschweig, Germany
- Dr. Chris Skinner, University of Hull and Environment Agency, Great Britain
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Vesna Zupanc, University of Ljubljana
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Milan Kobal, University of Ljubljana
- Assist.Dr. Sonja Bezjak, University of Ljubljana
- Dr. Matej Radinja, Aquafin, Belgium
Registration deadline: 31 March 2023
Notification about successful registration: 30 April 2023