BBC News reported in the Science section that the American space agency NASA has launched a Swot satellite that will survey millions of rivers and lakes – it is believed that’s expected to transform our view of water on Earth. Swot’s going to give water heights to within about 10cm and can be used for flood modelling and water inundation studies. SWOT stands for Surface Water and Ocean Topography. The SWOT mission will take stock of Earth’s water budget and help assess climate change – more on this topic is given in the web article “NASA Mission Takes a Deep Dive Into Earth’s Surface Water“.
- UNESCO Chair was recently approved for the period 2024 – 2028.
- Sodelavci Unesco katedre sodelovali pri TV oddaji “Slovenski vodni krog”.
- Ustanovljen Svet za vode na Ministrstvu za naravne vire in prostor, 6. februar 2024.
- Kick-off Meeting of the UCPM project BORIS2 on February 8, 2024.
- Dr Lebar and Dr Rusjan contributed to a paper in the International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction on “Multi-risk assessment in transboundary areas: A framework for harmonized evaluation considering seismic and flood risks”.